An regular image

The Institution

Historical Hike Part 13

The Institution

The Act on the Treatment of Alcoholics was adopted by the Riksdag in 1913. Already the following year, a decision was made to relocate an alcohol service to Wenngarn, at a cost of SEK 405,000. The facility, which is typical of its time, was designed by architect David LundegÄrdh in a style that links to Swedish building tradition without sacrificing modernity. The house was ready in August 1916. When the facility opened, the director was placed in the castle, with service room in the south wing and housing in the north.

In the 1960s, the director's residence was moved away from the castle. The institution has since then, together with the castle and a growing building stock, formed a strangely coherent mix of castle and institutional environment. State care at Wenngarn continued until 1983 when the facility was sold to the Lewi Pethrus Foundation. They provided addiction care here until the bankruptcy in 1997. In the autumn of 2013, the facility building was renovated and in May 2014, Hotel Anstalten opened, with accommodation, conference and restaurant.

Last stop on the interactive tour

Thank you for taking our interactive tour.