An regular image

The bell Tower

Historical Hiking Part 10

The bell Tower

The first bell tower at Wenngarn was built with Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie's rebuilding of the castle in the latter half of the 17th century. The castle was then crowned by a tower with two bells and a dial.

The years after the count's death, the castle facility fell into ruin and during a renovation in the 1730s the bell tower was demolished. The bells were left unused in the yard for a time, but got new use in 1748 when they were donated to Sigtuna town and hung in the city's belfry.

In the 1940s, a gathering of Sigtuna's sewing association was started to once again get a bell tower out at Wenngarn. After 30 years, the old transformer station of the castle was transformed into a classic style bell tower. The tower was designed by architect Karl-Erik Hjalmarsson, who also designed the water tower, among others.

Next part

The next part of the historical walk you will find at Kulturstallet, the wagon slider and the magazine.

TIP! Use the map in the app to navigate during the tour. Filter the hike by clicking Round Hike.